Treat colds and flu naturally! Natural remedies using herbal plant extracts, homeopathy and therapeutic grade essential oils are safe, effective and does not cause side effects unlike sugar-laden cold and flu medicines, antihistamines and cough syrups which only seek to suppress the symptoms and suppressing your body’s own immune system. Stop suppressing, and start healing!
I no longer use cold and flu medications, anti-histamines, Tylenol/ Panadol or medicated treatments to treat colds and flu. I have also been able to avoid antibiotics, steroids and inhalers for the past few years. I prefer using natural cold and flu remedies such as herbal supplements, essential oils and homeopathy. When my children get sick, I reach into my non-medicated medicine cabinet for any of these natural remedies. I find that using a combination of these remedies seem to be more effective rather than just a stand-alone remedy. These remedies are effective when used in combination for the relief of cold and flu symptoms such as nasal congestion, runny noses, sore throat, coughs, headaches and body aches. I very rarely need to use ALL of these remedies, I usually pick and choose 3-4 of these whenever my children are down with a cold or flu.
- NatroBio’s Cold & Flu – Fantastic stuff! It helps with cold and flu symptoms as well as shortens the duration of the illness. This homeopathic combination remedy is safe for children and adults. You can purchase this in VitaKids in Singapore or online at iHerb.com
- Sinupret – This is a herbal remedy available in children’s liquid or tablets. It’s fantastic for alleviating cold symptoms especially sneezing and runny noses. Available in most pharmacies in Singapore and iHerb. For more, click here.
- Esberitox – this pleasant tasting chewable lozenge is fantastic for soothing sore throats, alleviating symptoms of cold and flu. This herbal remedy includes echinacea and thuja extracts, known for it’s immune stimulating properties. Esberitox is available over the counter in Caring pharmacies in Malaysia and Singapore.
- Echinacea – this herb strengthens your immune system by stimulating the production of T-cells. It also increases the ability of your white cells to fend off pathogenic invaders. It will also lessen the severity of the symptoms of colds and flu and shorten the duration of the illness. There are many brands available in local pharmacies, natural health food stores and online. I get mine from a health food store in Australia.
- R.C. – RC stands for Respiratory Challenges, it is my number one essential oil choice for colds and flu. I reach for RC for sneezing, runny noses, coughs or congestion, bronchitis, sinusitis, mucus, respiratory inflammation and congestion, decongestant, expectorant, lung infection,or any respiratory complaints. RC is a blend of therapeutic grade essential oils, it includes marjoram, cypress, lavender, peppermint, pine, myrtle, spruce, as well as 3 types of eucalyptus. Apply it topically on chest, throat, upper back and feet with carrier oil. I diffuse it to help with nasal congestion and coughing especially at night. Just breathing it in will help relieve congestion, runny noses and coughs. This is a must-have in my home.
- Thieves – I love Thieves essential oil. It’s antimicrobial, anti fungal, anti parasitic, antiviral. At the first sign of colds and flu, apply Thieves on feet and diffuse it during the day time to prevent the illness from spreading. The uses are endless, please check out my blog for more info Got A Sore Throat? Invite THIEVES Into Your Home!
- Raven – Raven essential oil is my choice whenever my RC is finished. It provides relief for colds, sinusitis, bronchitis, allergies, hay fever and effective in breaking up phlegm. It is an essential oil blend of Ravensara, Eucalyptus radiate, Peppermint, Wintergreen/Birch and Lemon. I apply on throat, chest, upper back and feet with a carrier oil and diffuse when needed. I also put a drop of Raven or RC on my children’s pillow, this will help when they’re sleeping.
With essential oils, I find a combination of 2-3 oils are more effective rather than using 1 essential oil. Using 3 essential oils provide a synergistic effect and provides better healing. Please remember to use a carrier oil such as coconut oil first. And to layer these essential oils, do not blend them.
For colds and flus, I love NatroBio’s Cold and Flu, Sinupret, Exberitox, Echinacea, Thieves, Raven and R.C. These are natural, non-toxic remedies that are safe to use for children and adults. Do not forget other effective natural remedies for treating colds and flu such as taking Vitamin C, Vitamin D3, probiotics, zinc, extra virgin Coconut Oil, diluted Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, drinking Lemon essential oil with water, drinking coconut water, Epsom salt baths, Peppermint essential oil for fever and headache, other homeopathic remedies such as Aconite, Belladonna, Ferrum Phos, Gelsemium and more. Most importantly, keep hydrated, lots of bed rest and home-made chicken soup or bone broths! Stop suppressing the symptoms, instead support your immune system and start healing naturally!
You can purchase these natural remedies by clicking on the hyperlinks I listed above. Should you require help in getting any of the essential oils, please contact me. I hope this helps, good luck!